Pages





Monday, March 28, 2011

A Recipe and a Book Review

I haven't posted in forever, but that's OK since no one's reading yet. =[
Still, I've missed posting. I like writing my thoughts, and I like the thought that, one day, someone will read my blog and find something they enjoy.
Anyway! Last weekend I went to an all-weekend event at my church, and while I've filled my heart and head with the Bible, I've filled my body with golden Oreos, chocolate, soda, and golden Oreos. I'm pretty sure I've gained like 5 or more pounds and I want to eat ridiculously healthy for a month.
(Well, I'm going to Asheville in a couple weeks, so I'll eat ridiculously healthy until then.)
When I'm ready to eat junk food again, I'm making these brownies. They're the best thing ever. They come from Jan Karon's Mitford Cookbook and Kitchen Reader. Dad likes them and he supposedly hates brownies! The secret is beating the heck out of the eggs and sugar, so don't skip that step. It's definitely worth the extra time!
And since the brownies are good, the batter, obviously, is AMAZING!

4 oz unsweetened baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
3/4 c unsalted butter, cut in small pieces
4 large eggs
1/4 tsp salt
2 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 c all purpose flour
1 1/2 c mini chocolate chunks or Hershey's kisses
1 c chopped pecans or walnuts, opt.

Preheat oven to 350. Place unsweetened chocolate and butter in microwave safe bowl and microwave 5 to 8 minutes. Stir and let cool completely. In a bowl, beat eggs, salt, and sugar till light and creamy, about 10 min.  Add chocolate mixture. Stir in flour till just combined.  Add chocolate chunks and pecans and stir till just combined. Pour batter into a greased 9x13 in pan, bake 20-25 min.  Cool before cutting.

NOW, for the book review:

One of my all time favoritest books is The Mark of the Lions Series by Francine Rivers. If you haven't read it, then you should. There are 3 books : A Voice in the Wind, An Echo in the Darkness, and As Sure as the Dawn.  I read them last February/March.  They're a bit time consuming, even for me, and I'm a fast reader. 

They are Christian historical fiction, set in ancient Rome. They tell the story of a young Jewish girl named Hadassah who is taken from her home and sold into slavery to a family of Roman aristocrats, and falls in love with Marcus, the son of her owner. And they also tell the story of Atretes, a German soldier who is captured, taken to Rome, and forced to be a gladiator. 
It is very hard to explain the rest without giving stuff away, so just trust me, these books are the most sad, sweet, suspenseful, and wonderful books you'll ever read! Go read them today!
Warning: These books have lots of adult content, even though they're Christian, so if you are immature then don't read these.

Well, I'm off to make granola. Good night!
 Love, 
Mellie

No comments:

Post a Comment