Pages





Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter!

Happy Easter!

What did YOU do today? My family went to church (well we do that every Sunday but the service was special today) and when we got home we had a delicious easter dinner:
-Ham (the real thing not lunch meat-of course! who wants that crap on a holiday?)
-cooked broccoli and bell pepper with terriyaki sauce (yes I eat vegetables, lots of them! I just haven't posted any recipes)
-potato salad (recipe below)

Confession! Confession! Confession! Even with all this good, real, homemade food, I still LOVED the malted milk eggs in my Easter basket!
I'm the enemy of all foodies, especially hip and cool healthy eaters. well maybe not cool healthy vegans. I don't think malted MILK balls are vegan but I'm learning that all kinds of things that shouldn't be vegan are, like butter flavoring, pillsbury frosting, and oreos. But I digress. You would too if you were sleep deprived.

Here's the potato salad recipe! Classic spring/summer food. Like something you would bring on a picnic-why would anyone go on a picnic? 

Potato Salad
(Adapted from Jan Karon's Mitford Cookbook and Kitchen Reader)

7 medium russet potatoes
1 tbsp+1 1/4 tsp salt
4 medium hard-cooked eggs, mashed
1/2 c thinly sliced celery
1 3/4 c light mayonnaise (or if you, like me, hate mayonaisse, use just enough to make everything stick together)
2 tsp yellow mustard
2 tbsp sour cream
2 1/2 apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
parsley flakes and paprika, for garnish

Peel and cube potatoes. Place them in a large saucepan, add water to cover and 1 tbsp salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer till just tender. Drain potatoes in a colander. Let them cool completely. 
In a large bowl, combine potatoes, eggs, and celery. Stir in mayonnaise, mustard, sour cream, and vinegar. Add 1 1/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Just before serving, adjust salt and pepper. Garnish with bacon, parsley, and paprika. Makes:6 generous servings.

Don't you love Easter? I do. 
Have a happy Easter night!
 Mellie

No comments:

Post a Comment